Sunday, June 24, 2012

The “Do Over” Table

If you have ever watched cooking shows on television, you know how the miracle happens—you know, how the cook just finishes mixing up a cake, and seconds later pulls out a perfectly baked cake from the oven (sometimes with the frosting already on it??).

I think furniture-refinishing blogs use some of the same magic.  I mean, I can show you a “before” table like this one (yes the legs were originally white, but a little dinged up):

home projects 029

And end up with a picture like this:

wedding 005

…with no description of the blood, sweat, tears, and bad decisions that went in to it!

Today I will attempt to alter that misconception.  Winking smile

I’m sure you’ve seen these pine tables everywhere.  I think they sell them at all the big box stores!  The top was originally in a natural wood finish, and what these tables have going for them is about 193 layers of polyurethane (they wear like iron).  I thought that I could just sand it down and be done with it.

home projects 030

Did I mention there are 193 layers of polyurethane?

Well, I thought I had it all off, and so I applied a layer of stain.  After letting it sit for a few minutes, I wiped off the excess—only to find it came completely off the table wherever I “missed a spot”…or twelve.

I sanded my now-slightly-gooey table again (which is kind of hard on sandpaper).  Stained again.  Wiped again.  Ahh, only 9 missed spots.

This was not going well.

Having worked on these tables before, I should have been smarter to begin with (obviously I wasn’t).  I finally did what I should have done to begin with—and that was to apply a healthy layer of stripper to remove the last vestiges of the original finish.

boards 020

Sanded again.  Stained again.  Wiped again.

Ahhh….

wedding 006

So that’s my “do over” table.  No miracles, just a lot of work!

Wishing I had done it right the first time, and saved myself a whole lot of time and aspirin!

wedding 004

And wishing that all YOUR “do over” moments…are few!

***********************

From Frigidaire:

The Frigidaire Gallery™Dishwasher gets dishes fully cleaned the first time, so there are no dish do-overs. Nearly half of adults admit to re-washing and/or re-drying dishes after the dishwasher cycle has been completed. To prevent dishwasher do-overs, Frigidaire® is stepping in with its new Gallery® Dishwasher featuring the OrbitCleanTM Wash Arm, ensuring dishes are cleaned right the first time.

******************************

I was compensated for this post as a member of Clever Girls Collective. All the opinions expressed here are my own.

Linking up here:

 Domestically Speaking Elizabeth & Co.
Sisters of the Wild West The CSI Project
Friday Remodelaholic 2805
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Thrifty Décor Chick
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Beyond the Picket Fence Someday Crafts
Knick of Time My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect {Primp}
Simply Klassic Sundays My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours  
Cowgirl Up! {aka} design

21 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Hmmm... the do-over table.
I can relate to do-overs. I generally have a 'LIVE-WITH IT ATTITUDE'...that's why I don't get paid to blog!(or sponsored) ha ha ha...
Now, If I can just convince The Honey that my table needs to be stained darker... I'm not liking the light pine ...EVER.
Pat

Christine said...

This is exactly the headache I had this weekend!!!!! ugh never again! Yours turned out gorgeous. Mine looks like crap!

Katie Mansfield said...

I love it! It's almost like what we just bought last weekend. You are scaring me with your story, but it looks fabulous.
Katie- Let's Add Sprinkles
I love it so much, I just had to follow you. Now I can't wait to poke around your cute blog.

Gypsy Heart said...

So sorry you had to go through all that but at least you've warned us. It looks gorgeous now!

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

So sorry you had to go through all that but at least you've warned us. It looks gorgeous now!

xo
Pat

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

I've had plenty of "do-overs," that still need to be done over again! Ha! Your table turned out great! Well worth the effort! :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Well it sure looks fabulous now!

Sheila Zeller said...

Your table is amazing... can you imagine if you just decided to leave it? Do overs aren't fun, but settling is way less rewarding in the end. Good for you for persevering!

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

It came out great, well worth all the pain of the do overs I'll bet.
Personally, I HATE do overs and often end up walking away from a project that doesn't work out the way I wanted it to the first time. Just don't have the patience to start over. My bad!

Anonymous said...

Ugh the "do overs". BUT yours was so worth the trouble! It looks gorgeous :)

Unknown said...

Your table looks amazing -- when it comes to furniture refinishing it seems there is no magic -- only elbow grease :)

Your efforts sure paid off :)

Blessings!
Gail

The Bold Abode said...

In the end, it's GORGEOUS! I've definitely learned the hard way a time or two... UGH!

Emily B said...

I think I owe you a lot more for this table since it caused you so much grief! And I'm such a slacker at posting on my blog but someday I'm going to! For now I'll just use your link :) Thanks Korrie! And let me know what else I owe you ;)

SImple and Serene Living said...

Good grief, half my life is a do over. I'm not quite sure how to submit that :)

Bliss said...

I might have a do-over purple plum in my driveway right this minute. Verdict is still out. Hope it turns out good in the long run like your table, but I could do without the blood sweat and tears part unless they are just on the radio.

~Bliss~

Cyndi ✪ Blue Star said...

I'm glad i'm not the only one!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Sorry it was such a pain, but secretly glad I am not the only one who has issues when I am working on a project. Hey, that didn't come out right. I really do wish it was easier for all of us. I guess I am saying I can relate.

Unknown said...

Ha! Thanks for sharing this!! I have 'do over' moments on almost everything I tackle!! lol There are no mistakes in art! lol

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Oh I know what that's like. Your table turned out beautiful.

Dee

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I feel your pain! I've had some do-overs of my own. But the table is GORGEOUS!!!

bj said...

...but it came out looking like a million dollars.
Some of the hardest work I've ever done has been refinishing furniture. whew....